Dune

Dune

i found this to be marvelous like some, but perhaps my strange hill to climb atop is that i found it satisfying as is—which is not to say i think we don’t need a part 2 (we do), but that part 1 stands alone, and it stands tall.

we enter a dense, dust-filtered world with Dune, but no time is wasted laying excessive exposition. we’re dropped into time, space, and spice, right at the end of the beginning of a more comfortable, sheltered life. the hero’s journey is clouded by recent betrayal and centuries’ long prophecy and planning, giving us a quick fall and a determined rise to get back up. it’s emotional, it’s political, it’s not black and white. Ferguson delivers the most interesting performance among a stage of other excellent characters, raising the stakes to something Shakespearean: the tragedy is not in what we don’t know, but what we already foresee and was foretold—and how there’s nothing we can do to slow the momentum but meet it at its bloodied stand.

part 1 is a complete story of boy meets prophecy—part 2 should be a reckoning with what blood has already been shed, and what crowns must fall in payment. so so so good

Tay liked this review