Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion ★★★★★

Where do I begin...
That ending. The one I’ve been hearing about for months now.
Not at all what I expected.
It was dark in a sense I had no idea it could ever be, and after the carthartisism I received from the show’s ending I didn’t know what to expect.
But wow, just like Joker that ending left me shaken.

The animation, even though it came out only a year after the show itself, feels so much more improved it’s insane.

This definitely wasn’t as psychological as the final 2 episodes of the show, and I’m glad that we have two different perspectives for it.
Both compliment each other in different ways, but overall I think I prefer the ending of the show more than this.
I’ll still need some time to think on it but I immediately feel like I prefer the cathartic, warm ending of the show to this one.
The show allowed Shinji to have a full character arc in that, after showing a devastatingly real and yet touchingly beautiful look at anxiety and depression nothing else has really ever done before.

Even though it was 40 minutes of them spewing a bunch of what some may call “pretentious” stuff at you about reality, freedom, and our purpose in life, the conclusion it reached felt like a roller coaster ride in the end.
The congratulatory applause from everyone, including Shinji’s parents (which was so heartwarming to see) gave me a feeling of relief, like I had just endured that mental torment Shinji had gone through as well.
Great.

However, I will say that The End’s conclusion feels more in line with what came before it, and will likely be the one I revisit more often.
The first 45 minutes feel like a true final battle, with SEELE ambushing and brutally tearing through NERVE HQ.
The battle with Asuka and the reinforcement Eva’s was brutal, yet delivered some amazing action and animation. Their designs (which were clearly meant to reinforce the “humanity as the 18th Angel” sentiment) were also haunting.

Speaking of haunting; the final 40 minutes or so were... Something else.
I watched a video which used Thanos’s “virgin” snap to the “Chad” Third Impact.
And yeah I’d say that’s pretty accurate.

Thanos was cold, sudden and dread-inducing.
The Third Impact was twisted, in the sense that it used everyone’s perceptions of love against them, even in their final moments of life.

Man I need to think about it some more and rewatch it soon. Thank you Damian for encouraging me to watch this.
It’s something I’ll never forget