Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★★

"Think about it. Everything we did, all those people we saved. Look at what it got us. But what if, just once, we did something just for us?" - Scott Ward

See where it ranks among my top films of 2021!
Netflix Originals Ranked

In preparation for the release of this movie, I embarked on a Zack Snyder binge and (re)watched all of his projects leading up until this point. If you wanna see my ranking of his filmography, here it is.

Some say 2021 is the year of Zack Snyder and is it hard to deny that claim? I'd say it is.

This was an apology by Snyder addressed to his late daughter. It seemed like he was trying to address all of his mistakes that he made as a father and wanted them to be out in the open. He wanted to clear the air and this felt like the only way for him to do so. It felt like there was so much he wanted to say with that, but couldn't find the exact words.

Snyder's fingerprints were all over this thing. He directed, wrote the script, and even did the cinematography for it. The latter I do wanna highlight because I really liked it. There were a number of shots that were fantastic to look at and it's one of the most unique looking films I've seen in quite some time. I loved the aesthetic he was trying to go for. Junkie XL continues to provide some of the best scores of 2021 so far with Zack Snyder's Justice League, Godzilla vs Kong and now this. His score was chilling and helped a great deal in providing tension to a number of scenes. The soundtrack, as expected with Snyder, was fantastic. Sure, one song was too on the nose that I didn't expect to be used, but it was and I'm happy.

The film was funny as it was emotional and I didn't really feel the length. I'm like the only one who doesn't feel the length in Snyder's films. The action was incredible. Some of the best of the year so far along with GvK and Nobody. The casino scene with Bautista running on the table is phenomenal along with a really quick fight with a zombie he has. Speaking of the zombies, they were actually terrifying here and there will be some things you do not expect when it comes to those monsters. It delivers on the makeup (which was fantastic btw) and the gore you come to expect from this genre.

The cast was also really great. Ana de la Reguera (Cruz), Omari Hardwick (Vanderhoe), Nora Arnezeder (Lilly "The Coyote"), Ella Purnell (Kate Ward), Raúl Castillo (Mikey Guzman), Samantha Jo (Chambers), Theo Rossi (Burt Cummings), Richard Cetrone (Zeus), Hiroyuki Sanada (Bly Tanaka), and Garret Dillahunt (Frank Peters) were all entertaining and great. Dave Bautista (Scott Ward) has astounded me with his growth as an actor and he gets to show off his range here. He's going to do great things very soon. Both Matthias Schweighöfer (Ludwig Dieter) and Tig Notaro (Marianne Peters) were hilarious and easily my favorite characters in this whole movie.

However, the movie can be pretty predictable. If you've seen enough movies in general, you can kind of guess what's going to happen. The writing wasn't the best either. There are some really odd lines in here. The end went on a little too long and I feel that the last 8 min or so could've been a post-credit scene.

Overall, it was a fun, gory, and violent ride that changes things that you've come to expect with zombies, but fails to change the things you've come to expect when it comes to this kind of story and sub-genre. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, though.

Oh! I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but the intro was pretty awesome.

4/5

🔙The Graduate
🔜Tampopo

See what I watch next in The Stack and click here!

Michael liked these reviews