Cabaret

Cabaret ★★★★

"In here, life is beautiful. The girls are beautiful. Even the orchestra is beautiful! Leave your troubles outside! Life is disappointing? Forget it!" - Master of Ceremonies

This was suggested by Elaina as a part of the film of the week for the Film Club. Her reviews are just exquisite and her personality could be described the same way. She's just an awesome person. If you want to see all of the films I've watched for the Film Club, click here along with my ranking of each.

It's a dread-filled piece of historical fiction if you peel back the layers of this fun and romantic musical on the surface. You know the all-too familiar and frightening setting, but you often forget about it because of the charming and lovely story at the forefront. But then it keeps gnawing at you. It's gonna keep gnawing at the outer surface until it's too late. The bone's exposed for the foreboding monster to chow down and devour what's left. It calls for acceptance and becomes a fairly relevant cautionary tale for any country that likes to experience this one of a kind show. This "Cabaret" if you will.

Bob Fosse has got to be one of the most underrated directors to ever do it. He's mastered both directing cinema and theatre productions and probably slowly becoming one of my favorite directors. He knows when to bring it in close and keep the film lively with his expertly shot and edited scenes involving choreo (which was phenomenal btw, but that is expected with anything involving that brilliant man). The songs were really fun and were juxtaposed chillingly with the darker scenes. John Kander is one heck of a composer. Love him to death. Liza Minnelli (Sally Bowles) and Joel Gray (Master of Ceremonies) both deliver fantastic performances. Both injected the film with so much energy and deserving of their wins.

The pacing was a little off at times and this just wasn't what I'd expected.

Great pick for the Film Club! Excited for what's picked next!

4.25/5

🔙Thunder Road 🔄
🔜Die Hard

See what I watch next in The Stack and click here!

Michael liked these reviews