Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★

Part 16 of Road to Infinity War

I don't really know how to feel about this. It's not bad by any means, but there's something really plastic, shiny, weightless, harmless, slick, syrupy about it that just rubs me the wrong way. Spider-Man just doesn't really belong in this world, this context. They do probably as good of a job of it as they could, but he just really needs to be in his own world. I like how vulnerable and goofy he is (there are a lot of great, quintessential one-liners), but I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, something about this whole affair is...incorrect. Does not compute. Maybe I'm just stuck on the raw, free-wheelin Raimi movies, but this one is just too cute. It functions really well as a light coming of age comedy, but as a superhero movie, as a SPIDER-MAN move...I'm not so sure.

To put it simply, I like a lot of this movie's parts, but can't get on board with the whole. It's a good entry in the MCU, a lackluster entry in the Spider-Man canon. I probably wouldn't care this much if it were somebody else, but Peter and I...we're close.

BONUS POINTS: That post-credits scene is *chef's kiss*
NEGATIVE POINTS: Yeah I got the Ferris Bueller ref without you playing it for me THANK you very much.

Murphy liked these reviews