The Strangers: Prey at Night ★★★★

“Why are you doing this?”
“Why not?”
Such a mixed bag at times, but ultimately very fun!
The first act sucks, full stop. There’s so many terrible tropes (the son looks old enough to be his own dad, edgy teen daughter wearing a fucking Ramones shirt from Kohl’s) and back story that you just will not give a shit about. But once it gets started, it’s rad!
I just love these killers so much man, they look cool as hell. The Strangers is one of my all time favorite horror flicks. This one gives up on any spooky psychological torture that made the original fun and just goes full on slasher. But that’s not a bad thing! I think deep down all of us wanted to see these three go ham during the original.
Every set piece rules. There’s some really cool 70s zoom going on in the third act. And more than a few shout outs to much better films, new and old (namely The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and It Follows). And the cinematography is much better than it has any need to be for a mainstream slasher. Not to mention one AMAZING jump scare. If you’re a fan of the original you should like this one. If you don’t, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mmatthewryann liked these reviews