Jackie Brown ★★★★

Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown combines two of the director's seemingly favorite genres, blaxploitation cinema and film noir. He cleverly breaks them down through the film's two protagonists, but an important distinction is established early on. Jackie Brown is more of a critique of the films that spawned it, rather than an affectionate homage. Don't get me wrong, Tarantino clearly admires the films that came before. In fact, I imagine he loves them. He loves them so much that his contribution was unquestionably always going to be a top-drawer standard of the two categories. Taking clear inspiration from Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch, Tarantino probably felt it was paramount to subvert audience expectations after the unprecedented success of Pulp Fiction. Jackie Brown is a tighter and simpler story than Pulp Fiction was. The central characters are considerably more complex and more intricately written. As a result, I believe this to be Pam Grier's best performance. Remarkably, Grier's Jackie might be Tarantino's most interesting and fleshed out character in the whole of his filmography.

mo_shack liked these reviews