Brigsby Bear ★★★½

It just keeps getting better.

The best kinds of movies to me are the ones that surprise me by being good. The first 10 minutes or so of Brigsby Bear is my favorite kind of exposition, it's just a big mystery that slowly and gradually keeps getting clearer and clearer using nothing but visual clues. There is no on-the-nose dialogue and the performances are just spectacular by Mark Hamill in particular.

As if the original twist on the "fish-out-of-the-water" trope and the extremely interesting plot direction wasn't enough, Brigsby Bear gets even better in its second act by introducing filmmaking and how magical of an escape it is.

At times, Brigsby Bear is too generic and even though it has a unique backdrop to support it, the "fitting-in" part sometimes dragged on. This didn't bother me, however, when wighed in against all the characters and their relationships and how they evolve and adapt. Sure, some of the supporting characters are a bit one-dimensional, but that's why they are supporting characters.

I don't know how good of a movie Brigsby actually is, and frankly I don't care because it hit me and it hit me hard. Alternating between a hard emotional slap to the face and a smile on my face, Brigsby Bear is a delight, and it is also dope as shit.