It ★★★★½

"You punched me, made me walk through shitty water, dragged me through a crackhouse....and now I'm gonna have to kill this fucking clown."

I am writing this review the next morning after watching It, because the last thing I wanted to do last night was think about those freaking balloons again. It isn't only horrifying because of the demonic shapeshifting clown, it also deals with fear itself and how it manifests for different people. Fear of standing out, of loss, of failure, of sickness and so on. Of course adding a few gallons of blood and a clown who spits out a child's dismembered hand and waves with it won't hurt with the whole scary thing.

Okay, the first 20 minutes or so of that movie with Georgie were flawless in my opinion. Everything from the dialogue to the performances were on point. The lines and how they were delievered by Bill Skarsgård were genuinely frightening. Then, the movie changes to focus on each of 6 kids' characters, what drives them and most importantly what scares them. Honestly, everthing introduced was important one way or another later in the plot. No unecessary exposition or discarded plot points. The film was very well paced, shot, and edited.

It really surprised me because I'm not a horror movie type of guy, but I actually really liked it. It balanced between the creepy and the dynamic between the Losers (without any weird Stephen King orgys) so even though the plot is bizarre, the movie didn't feel disjointed at all. Every single encounter with Pennywise were not only instruments for jumpscares and cheap boos, they developed each character bit by bit so that at the end, these kids are as three -dimensional as the audience.

God, I fuc*ing hate balloons now.