Raw ★★★½

What. The. Hell...

Raw is a very surreal experience. I am writing this right after getting out of it. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the end, but I did and here I am. I am not easily disgusted or scared by horror movies and such, at least I don't think I am. However, Raw is easily the most horrifying film, and probably even thing, I've ever seen my entire life.

Disguised within a very pretty film that has beautiful cinematography and an innocent enough story, is a haunting, appalling, and terrifying tale of a sweet, bright student who is plagued by an obsession with human meat. I suppose on paper it doesn't sound all that scary. To me it didn't, but trust me when you see how realistic and grounded this movie is, you'll puke your lunch out. I am pretty sure that all this debacle had a purpose. Some hidden imagery, a message, or some serious commentary. Whatever it did or didn't have was completely lost on me. I was more focused on the flesh-eating girl to notice, so sue me.

To me, Raw is and most likely will always be, a one of a kind movie. No film had triggered any of the many emotions that hit me in these 90 minutes. It was disgusting and scary, but for some reason I couldn't look away. I think I do recommend Raw if you don't have a weak stomach, I definitely know that I will never be watching it again. Good luck.

mohdhz liked this review