Spider-Man: Far from Home

Spider-Man: Far from Home ★★★★

After a somewhat clunky first act I really grew into this and ended up enjoying it a lot, especially with a while to digest it.

I'd seen a couple of trailers so, even though I knew they couldn't be trusted, my mind had started to wonder what the introduction of different Earths might mean for the MCU going forward. With that in mind, I was perhaps a little disappointed at first with the chosen direction of the plot - but then again I do like it when the MCU does something unexpected (e.g. Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier etc).

It's quite brave for a CGI Blockbuster to highlight that what we see isn't real, and to even go as far as to have the villain walking around in a Motion Capture suit but this meta concept was a great approach to a modern MCU Mysterio. I was also impressed by the interpretation of the illusions he conjures up to attack Spider-Man with.

The allusions to fake news were also rather clever, as was the re-imagining of The Daily Bugle as an InfoWars style website.

The film serves as a coda to Endgame and the final instalment of Phase 3 but I was surprised by how self-contained it was. There didn't seem to be any major characters or events explicitly set up for the wider MCU.

However, there are still threads that might be followed; all the current Avengers are out of the picture for various reasons, is Fury setting up S.W.O.R.D.?, does the reference to Kree sleeper cells mean another Skrull/Kree conflict is coming?, and will Kraven be hunting public enemy Peter Parker in Spider-Man 3?

I look forward to finding out.

mook liked these reviews