The Irishman

The Irishman ★★★★½

No greater irony than negotiating the price of your own casket; no greater tragedy than death without epiphany. No matter how revered or insignificant your stature, no matter how sincere or morally corrupt your code of conduct, everyone ends up six feet deep; entirely forgotten, irrelevant. "Why?" indeed. A pretty harrowing philosophy session. This has to be Scorsese's most poignant film, and probably his most haunting.

*MINOR SPOILERS*
I don't think I'll ever forget this exchange:
"He's dead. They're all dead. Who are you protecting?"
"He's dead? Who did it?"
"It was cancer."
*END OF SPOILERS*

Still can't believe I lived to see the day De Niro and Pacino giving a shit again. What a miraculous gift getting these two paired up with an out-of-retirement Pesci and an ever-wisening Scorsese, before they, themselves, pass away. None of these acting legends had to go this hard, but they all did – 99% with their eyes.

How does Stephanie Kurtzuba – the actress playing Sheeran’s second wife – look exactly like Marisa Tomei mixed with Roz from FRASIER? Uncanny.

I HEARD YOU PAINT HOUSES reminded me a lot of TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY and MALCOLM X... An abundance of irony, tragedy, betrayal, and unawareness of the “bigger picture”.

I mean, yeah... I'm rocked to my core. This is like THE GODFATHER PART II, if Michael Corleone was a well-meaning-but-not-too-bright, oblivious, blue-collar working stiff. "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself playing Fredo." - Al Pacino

youtube.com/watch?v=p2YUDZZV6H8