Mirror

Mirror

This is the most personal, most poetic, and maybe the best movie I’ve ever seen. I don’t even know how to write a review for this because there’s nothing I could say to do it justice.

I’ll be the first to admit I was VERY confused at the beginning of the film, but then everything clicked. The timelines fell into place, I realized what the dreams were, and then I was glued to the screen for the rest of the movie. I knew I was going to like Solaris... I had no idea I was going to love The Mirror

After reading more into what the film means and what everything stands for, I feel like I’ll never be able to stop thinking about this movie. This film is about as close to the perfect movie for the kinds of themes I like to explore. Its perception of memory and dreams, interweaving the two, is just beautiful.

It’s hard to believe that a week ago I only knew Tarkovsky by name. Now, a little over halfway into his filmography, I’ve never felt closer to understanding any director’s purpose for creating their films.  Tarkovsky had such clear direction with what he wanted his films to be and it’s a miracle that he was allowed to make them his way. It couldn’t be done today, so I’ll just have to remember The Mirror in my own way.

{#15 on Favorites list} {#1 on Best Movies of 1975}