Motke Dapp’s review published on Letterboxd :
After catching Hereditary at the lovely Hi Pointe Theater in St. Louis last night, I'm still trying to figure out how to feel.
The trailer for the film is one of the best things I've ever seen. To have a trailer that insane and powerful makes it difficult for a film to even land in the same space. And for me - it didn't. Too much hype in my own brain? Maybe.
Let's start with the good:
1. Unreal cinematography. The film is gorgeous. So beautifully shot.
2. The location. Wow.
3. The production design is stellar (tiny things).
4. The acting is very good.
Now for the *spoilery* questions/thoughts:
1. I have no idea what to think about the film, overall. It's a really interesting ride obviously taking you somewhere. It makes sense in the end, but I'm not sure if I like the end.
2. The car scene is one of the most intense things I've ever seen in cinema. It still sits with me.
3. The ending. It was almost kind of funny, which is a tad upsetting for how unsettling the entire film is. What a strange ending.
4. The ending reminds me of the ending for The Witch, which was my least favorite part of that film. It's a much better ending than The Witch, but it's just a bit - off. Off? I think that's the word.
I will watch it again.