Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★½

67/100

“Somewhere between leaving your ass and saving my own, I developed a conscience. It's exhausting.”

I won’t lie when I say that over the last few months I’ve been going back and forth between being really excited for the film (another Snyder zombie film!) and getting really turned off from it (the runtime is quite long for what it is). Finally I decided to watch it so I can finally see how my true feelings are towards it as a whole and if I’m honest, it’s not all that bad. I think there’s a lot of good stuff and a lot of rather not so good stuff, but honestly all I was thinking about was how crazy of a man Snyder is to get Netflix to make this.

The entirety of the opening sequence I think really let’s you know how the rest of the film is going to be and it’s great. I love the way Snyder uses it to launch the film into what it’s supposed to be and it works out so well. From there on out the film builds up it’s ensemble cast and allows for the world-building to become the forefront for a bit and it really works well. It’s really interesting the way that Snyder builds out the zombie lore and how different types of them there are and how they can learn and all this stuff because it makes for an unpredictable zombie version and I think that specific version plays really well with what Snyder was going for.

Not totally thrilled with the way that the “heist” finished up. Was expecting a bit more of an actual “heist” but felt like a “mission” if that makes sense. Felt like it was something that they had to do on a deeper level and wasn’t just a heist. Then by time the zombies started really going that’s when I started to really enjoy it all. Snyder is a master at crafting exciting action sequences and here it’s no different; it’s bloody, it’s gory, & it’s what you’d expect from a real zombie picture. The cast here is as ensemble as it gets and honestly Dave Bautista, Ella Purnell, & Ana de la Reguera are all the standouts - which was expected - but doesn’t take away from how great they were.

Definitely hope Snyder can do a lot more stuff like this. It’s just exciting seeing him doing the absolute craziest things that he can think of because it makes for entertaining blockbuster stuff and that’s all you really need sometimes. Although the runtime does get pretty long at certain times and it drags on at some other parts, the overall film is still quite good. Thought there would be more emphasis on a heist, but Army of the Dead is still a fun zombie flick.

2021 Ranked