Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

100

”It's not about how much we've lost. It's about how much we have left.”

As I said in my original review for Avengers: Infinity War, the Marvel Cinematic Universe to me, is what the likes of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings were to others. I basically grew up in a world embodied by superheroes and their stories and I absolutely loved it. The MCU has been in my heart since the very beginning and has brought me joy and happiness on so many levels. It filled my childhood and early teens with hope and the culmination of this universe over a decade and 20 plus films in Avengers: Endgame was everything I wanted and more.

Year after year I went to the theaters to see my favorite heroes battle their greatest foes and I couldn’t help but love every moment of it. But with Endgame it felt different. I had grown with these characters over the years and at all points, I knew they’d come back; I mean they had to, the films needed them to. But when the movie finally started I didn’t know what was going to happen and it made me nervous and excited all tied together.

Anthony and Joe Russo have done something wonderful with the MCU; creating two distinctively different films, yet bringing them together in one of the most epic ways possible. The way that the Russo Brothers were able to destroy and break our heroes hopes in Infinity War, to them coming together for one last fight is woven together through wonderful moments of love and heartbreaking scenes that made me cry a good three times before the credits started to roll.

The obvious standouts are from the main six; RDJ, Evans, Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Johansson, & Renner all deliver here and each moment that they’re together in screen it really just makes the inner geek in me so happy. The other supporting characters all work well here too and I loved seeing Larson & Rudd with the main cast. I also really felt connected to Karen Gillian as Nebula here and she finally stood out to me here. And while I prefer Brolin’s Thanos in Infinity War, he still chips in a very fine performance here.

When we were being lead to the last battle, I knew it would be over for me. After 10 plus years, I knew my favorite characters weren’t coming back, but I thing that got me was how beautifully it was done. I wasn’t angry or mad that my favorites weren’t coming back, it mad me cherish those films we saw them in, and brought me to tears in the best way possible. RDJ’s final performance as Iron Man is one of the best. He did what any hero would do and he did it with style and I think it encapsulated his character so well. His final words hit home a lot because of how this entire universe started and ended with I am Iron Man and it just floored me.

The farewell to Evans’ Captain America worked just like RDJ’s, but in such a touching way. He didn’t get killed in battle, he lived his life the way he wanted to and it makes for one of the most touching scenes in the entire MCU. The fight between Hawkeye and Black Widow about who was going to die felt so in character and when the dust settled and Widow wasn’t there, it felt true to her character.

The thing that I love the most is how well the Russo’s set up these characters final goodbye. Captain America *finally* saying “Avengers Assemble” made me want to jump out of my seat with joy. Him using Mjolnir to fight Thanos made me giddy with joy and the complete final battle between every single superhero of the MCU and Thanos’ army is hands down the best superhero battle there is, and probably ever will be. The Russo’s did some fan service before the final goodbyes and it worked perfectly.

When the reviews and everything was released for Infinity War it hyped it up a lot, and I love that movie to death, but I think it was too hyped for me. With Avengers: Endgame, it completely floored me. This universe has been near and dear to my heart since the very beginning and with this final outing for many of my favorite characters, I’m glad it was done this way. I know a lot of people aren’t gonna see the way I do; they’ll talk about the technical issues with it, but ultimately Avengers: Endgame was everything I hoped for and more. A damn masterpiece in my eyes.

2019 Ranked