John Wick: Chapter 2 ★★★★½

85/100

"You stabbed the devil in the back. To him this isn't vengeance, this is justice."

It comes to no surprise that a man who's whole career is about making action feel and look real on screen directs one of the most beautiful, tense, and kick-ass action films of the last decade. After the first John Wick film I knew this would be a series that would have the Hollywood standards for action flicks turned up to 11, and John Wick: Chapter 2 did that single handily.

Directed with a keen eye for brutal and yet beautiful action shots, Chad Stahelski uses his knowledge of stunts and action shooting to make John Wick: Chapter 2 a mesmerizing experience from the magnificent opening to the closing credits. You can tell ho precise he wants it to look; there's no shaky cam, there's no convoluted plot, it's not bullshit; and I love that. I also love how well the story is handled here. It's not as emotional as the first, but when you think about it, does it need to be? No. It's action and gun-fu and it's badass.

It's unbelievable when you realize Keanu Reeves is 52, because holy shit he's still got it. The man is an unstoppable force and I'm okay with that. Point, shoot, pet dog, kick ass; John Wick in a nutshell, and Reeves plays him perfectly. The supporting cast is held together by Ian McShane and Lance Reddick; who both are absolutely amazing. The villains aren't that great but with a main star of Reeves, they don't need to be.

The technical aspects of Chapter 2 are stunning. The fights are choreographed to perfection, the music is brilliant, and the cinematography is beautiful; making this one of the greatest action flicks of the decade. Chad Stahelski, Keanu Reeves, and Ian McShane should all be held to the highest of high because they have us this beauty of action called John Wick: Chapter 2.

2017 Ranked