Ready Player One

Ready Player One ★★★★★

95/100
*previously an 82*

”People come to the Oasis for all the things they can do, but they stay for all the things they can be.”

One of those films that honestly just makes me fall in love with it every single time I rewatch it. I feel like I could sit down and watch it at anytime and be entertained or amazed or genuinely blown away at the brilliance of it all. One of the few book-to-film projects that I read the book first and the movie, although widely different in many ways, still gave me the exact reaction and feelings that I had when I first read Cline’s book.

Not quite sure there is another director who could’ve done what Steven Spielberg did here. Almost certainly one of the finest directors working today and his experience and technical abilities and view are captured so perfectly on screen. His blend of action/adventure and science-fiction within Ready Player One is beyond wonderful. Each action scene or set piece is so precisely and beautifully rendered in this visually mesmerizing and stunning way, it’s so hard to not be enthralled watching the film. Of course, it can be a little overwhelming at times with an overstimulation of things, but Spielberg does with it so well that it never feels dragged out.

Don’t really think Tye Sheridan and Olivia Cooke get the recognition they deserve. I don’t really think that their performances are widely brilliant or anything of the likes, but they work so well crafting a vessel for the experience of the film and their relationship with everything is what makes them perfect for the two leads. Also, Mark Rylance is just good in everything. Never seen a film handle so many characters and references as well as this and probably never will, unless of course Steven Spielberg comes back for the sequel; in which case I hope he does!

When I saw this in theaters for the first time, I had the privilege of seeing it as the Chinese Theater in LA and I thought that maybe it had a big effect on my feelings for it, a few rewatches later, I really think it just gets better every time. I know and can acknowledge a lot of the problems of the film, and some of them I really don’t like, the entire “falling in love” part just never hits *all* the way home for me, but honestly I don’t even care. Ready Player One is masterpiece in my eyes, and probably one of the finest blockbuster ever made; perfect stuff for me.

2018 Ranked