Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★★½

89/100

"If you're nothing without the suit, then you shouldn't have it."

When it was announced that Marvel Studios and Sony had made a deal to bring Spider-Man into the MCU I was ecstatic. Then, last year's Captain America: Civil War came out and we got a glimpse of him and I was blown away; so you can imagine how excited I was for this film to come out, and after seeing last night, I can finally say, we have a good Spider-Man film again. Coming close to the heart & energy that Raimi first brought, Spider-Man: Homecoming is one of the most fun times I've had at the theaters, and a new favorite of mine.

Deep down in my heart, the first two Raimi films will always be the most nostalgic driven & the ones I remember the most; having the second still being the best. But after the credits finished I questioned myself, because Jon Watts' Spider-Man: Homecoming hit home in the same way Raimi did; there was such a passion that you could feel from the film, the High-School setting was relatable, everything just flowed the way I imagined it would've, and I can't thank Marvel enough for making this.

Given that director Jon Watts has directed very small-scale & indie films, I was quite surprised by the way he handled such a big film. The way that Watts embodies the dual roles of Peter Parker/Spider-Man is easily the greatest aspect of the film. He balanced it all so well and allowed "both" characters to form into their own thing works wonders. The action here isn't big & bold, and I admire the hell out of that. It's not the best action the MCU has, but it's so great. I also love how the third act is executed; perfectly handled and really floored me.

Tobey played the nerd part of Peter Parker to a pitch & Andrew played the Spider-Man part perfectly, Tom Holland was the best of both worlds. I didn't even expect him to be so great as both. He's basically a nerd and I love it; and when he plays Spider-Man, he's so enthusiastic & has so much heart, it's hard not to root for the guy. Jacob Batalon absolutely kills every single time he's on screen and their interactions were great. Zendaya, Laura Harrier, Tony Revolori, & a small part RDJ all worked excellently as supporting characters and I hope they return. The real standout of the film is Michael Keaton; he's badass, he has motive, his character works and has meaning and I loved it.

Even on a technical standpoint, Spider-Man: Homecoming floors a lot of the films released this year. The production design is beautiful, the costumes are great, & I absolutely loved the soundtrack and the score; it fits Spider-Man so so well and I applaud the team so much. I really loved this film - maybe more than I thought - and while it doesn't each the perfection of Raimi's Spider-Man 2, Jon Watts Spider-Man: Homecoming is another brilliant entry into the MCU, and I can't wait to revisit time & time again.

2017 Ranked