2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★½

(UHD Blu-Ray)

Firstly can I just say that I will forever feel nothing but hatred toward ME Bank for ruining the glorious opening of this masterpiece with their stupid adverts that play every single time in the cinema.

Secondly can I just say that this new restoration is absolutely gorgeous!

Now that that's out of the way, lets move on.

About 3 or 4 years ago I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the very first time, and I thought it was...terrible.

I thought it was super long, boring, stupid, weird, pretentious, way too enigmatic, confusing, bizarre, it just felt like it would never end. I had no idea what was happening, what anything meant, why there was hardly any talking, why there were spaceships floating around for ages, why tiny things had to be dragged out for ridiculous amounts of time, why he became a foetus at the end, I just didn't understand the film at all.

I did however, love the visuals and special effects - and I still do! They look absolutely stunning and are astonishingly good for their time. I also found the part where HAL takes over the ship to be kinda entertaining and the stargate sequence was interesting, but other than that, I hated it.

After I finished the film, I read a little bit about it (As I do with every film I watch) and because I didn't understand the film at all, I seeked answers and watched a couple of videos and read a couple of pages explaining the film and its meanings/interpretations. After doing this, I was still a little confused but I was beginning to understand what it was actually about.

Even though I disliked the film, its confusingness (Yes, that's a word) and ambiguity made it dwell in my mind for a while. I may not have enjoyed it but I knew there was something unique about it. Over a long period of time I eventually come to the realisation that the film was actually a masterpiece. After sitting in my mind for ages and after gathering knowledge on the internet I now finally understood the film. It all made sense now (Well not exactly but the not making sense made sense now) and I could see the film for what it was, as I said before, a masterpiece.

Now that I liked it, I watched 2010: The Year We Make Contact (Which was alright) and I looked forward to when I would eventually rewatch the film with a new perspective. Fast forward a year or two and 2001: A Space Odyssey has turned 50, with a new 4K restoration out on UHD Blu-Ray. I sat down to rewatch the film and was blown away by its awesomeness (As well the HDR, mmm those colours!).

2001: A Space Odyssey is a phenomenal film and a truly awesome science-fiction epic that will continue to stand the test of time.

Star Wars is way better though. ;)

MovieBuFF1138 liked these reviews