Under the Silver Lake ★★★★★

A24 Ranked

Paper Towns but good, along with shades of Inherent Vice and Mulholland Drive thrown in, and with a little something to say about toxic masculinity and how Hollywood treats women so horribly. Andrew Garfield gives the best performance of his career, the cinematography, editing and score add to the film’s offbeat atmosphere and tone, and it somehow manages to perfectly balance between being a quite gripping mystery-horror of sorts and being an absolutely hilarious dark comedy. The film can admittedly come off as a bit incoherent at times, but similar to Inherent Vice (and if I’m being honest, I actually enjoyed this more than Inherent Vice, which I still enjoyed), I feel that adds to the film’s puzzling nature for its protagonist, so it adds to the experience and really works in the film’s favor.

Just when I thought that It Follows was exceptional enough already, David Robert Mitchell outdid himself. I have so many thoughts that I want to elaborate on, but at the same time, l’ll have to revisit it at least once or twice to do so. All I can say is that this is destined to be a cult classic.

Overall, Under the Silver Lake won’t work for everyone, but I absolutely loved it. Strongly recommend giving it a chance, and go in as blind as possible.

I. Simon liked these reviews