Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★

I can now confidently say Ari Aster is a better director than he is a writer. Midsommar is easily the most beautiful movie I’ve seen so far this year, it’s just a shame it’s in service of such a messy and unfocused story. No doubt in my mind do I think every technical aspect of this movie is finely tuned to maximum effect, and it was this sense of craft that intrigued and lured me as the film started.

Grief, relationships, and restricting societal norms are all present in this movie; without a much needed careful hand to guide the audience, though, these themes ultimately feel pointless. For a movie nearing two-and-a-half-hours, so much time is wasted on unnecessary sub plots and story beats that don’t go anywhere or mean anything.

I’m not someone who fell in love with Hereditary, but it had a genuine sense of suspense and terror, made fresh because of the characters and emotionally weighty story. I didn’t feel much for what the characters were going through in Midsommar, despite the solid performances, nor did anything beside the asthetics stand out as remarkable.

I know this sounds harsh, so trust me when I say that this is not a bad movie at all and I’m excited for Aster as to where he’ll go next. Ultimately, however, I couldn’t help but feel a little hollow by the time the credits rolled.

Oh well, we got sixteen days until Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I’ll be fine.

Logan liked these reviews