The Babadook ★★★★½

“I'll kill the monster when it comes...I'll smash its head in..."

Wow. Mr. Babadook has to be the most sinister and sadistic bedtime reading I've ever seen. My parents let me watch all sorts of horror flicks when I was a kid. I saw all the Friday the 13th's, Nightmare on Elm Streets' (which I found more humorous than scary), The Poltergeist, The Howling, The Omen, The Exorcist, Halloween, etc. I was a horror film junkie from the age of about 6 until I was in my late teens. Out of all of those I really only remember Poltergeist freaking me out, and that was only when I was 6 or 7. I just don't find most films that scary. I still don't. However, if I saw this one as a kid, I think it would freak me out pretty good.

I'm amazed that a film with such a modest budget, that would have probably never even made it to production, had it been for Kickstarter, could have such an impact on me. If ever there was a reason for Kickerstarter to exist, it would be so films like this could be created, so talented directors/writers can get their chance to shine. The Babadook glistens like the black pearl it is, and I truly applaud Kickstarter for just being there and allowing films like this to come to life.

This is the most epic and original horror tale/flick I have seen in quite some time. From the griping story-line, to the talented cast, and the keen direction from Jennifer Kent, who has a knack for suspense.

Alfred Hitchcock, the master of suspense would be impressed. This film may not be as ground-breaking as Psycho, but for a director's first feature film, with a budget of about 30k, it is most impressive. The majority of the populous have never heard of a film called Number 13 (Hitchcock's first crack at directing). I'm pretty certain this film will be well known, and in the not too distant future as well. If writer/director Jennifer Kent has more material like this up her sleeve, the future of the horror/suspense genre just got a whole lot more promising.

Movie liked these reviews