Spider-Man: No Way Home

Spider-Man: No Way Home ★★★½

It’s no doubt this film has exceeded expectations this year. With covid affecting movie goers for the past couple years, it was a wonder when blockbusters would return. I’m personally surprised that not only did this film succeed it is already one of the highest grossing films of all time. Circumstances aside, I think Spiderman: No Way Home is a decent film. Superhero films have always been fuzzy when it cones to the line between fantasy and reality. The writers want to have these relatable characters with real world problems but also throw in magic. I think the premise of this film is logical. Peter Parker’s whole life and friends have been consumed by his true identity. Feeling trapped, Peter approaches Mr Magic himself to cure all his problems for him. Obviously it’s not that easy and Peter ends up discovering the multiverse (the next excuse to continue the MCU). For whatever reason Peter’s wish to be free of the problem of his identity brings in all the old Spidermen and their respective villains into Holland’s reality. Peter fights all these villains and eventually learns upon returning them to their world that the villains would die as they did in their films. Peter sees that these villains don’t deserve such a cruel fate and decides to try to fix them against Mr Magic’s wishes.

Here is where my problems with the film begin. I was already concerned about appealing to nostalgia and it seems that that’s most the praise the film is getting. “Tobey and Andrew are in the movie it’s so cool!” I would be wrong to say they didn’t play a part, but I feel as though this will open the floodgates of nostalgia bait. The things that people enjoy the most about this film and were looking forward to see was somebody else’s work. Sam Raimi and Marc Webb already created these characters and they worked effectively on their own. Did this film try to build on these characters and villains? Sort of? I feel like without these characters in the film it would not have garnered nearly as much attention. My next problem is the magical Stark machine. As I said earlier in the review Tom Holland’s Spiderman wants to fix the villains from the other universes. Well thank goodness Tony Stark left a magic 3D printer that can completely negate all the villains evil circumstances and make them good again. I know it’s a plot device but come on. It doesn’t even make sense to cure the villains. Is Green Goblin gonna go back to his world before he dies and say, “Wait Spiderman I’m not evil anymore don’t fight me.”?

This is probably all just nitpicking but as a blockbuster film it definitely checks all the boxes

✅ Superhero