The Lighthouse ★★★½

This rating is very much based on my first experience with the film. I just couldn't understand what the characters were saying half of the time, so I feel like my enjoyment and my rating for this film will increase the second time around.

Other than that though I actually loved the look of this film, it was a bit weird at first seeing a square film on a massive 21:9 cinema screen, but I got used to it in a few mins. I generally liked the cinematography too.

From the get go though you can tell that this is going to be a weird film, I'm not going to go into it so that I don't spoil anything. Man though this film is so weird, this one of those films that just keeps getting weirder and weirder over time that by the end of it I'm just totally baffled and have no idea what happened.

One thing that isn't an issue with the film, but just put me off a bit, is the fact that it's quite gross at times for various reasons. I would have rather have not seen some of that stuff, but I understand that the film wouldn't have been as effective without them, it's very much just a personal thing.

I would recommend giving it a watch though, maybe once in the cinema and then another time at home with subtitles if you liked it but found it hard understanding the characters. Or look out for a subtitles showing (I'm sure that's a thing in some cinemas).

Ameer liked these reviews