The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wolf of Wall Street ★★★★★

"I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."

The Wolf of Wall Street, Scorsese's 23rd feature and his 5th collaboration with Leonardo DiCaprio, is just damn brilliant.

It is one of the best films of the year. Every cast and crew member is firing on all cylinders. I was tempted to say this is DiCaprio's Goodfellas in terms of his tenure under Scorsese's wing because it has more in common with that, but from a performance standpoint, this should really be labeled his Raging Bull. He's that good.

The Wolf of Wall Street, written by Terence Winter from Jordan Belfort's own memoir, is saturated with unforgettable lines and scenes too numerous to praise. This is as close to comedy the director has gotten since 1985's underrated After Hours and he succeeds with flying colors.

It's not too long, anyone who feels it's too over the top should remember we're dealing with an unreliable narrator, and if you feel Scorsese and company are glorifying Belfort maybe you should have stopped texting during the film and paid closer attention to what they were going for.

I have read some comments that this lacks key elements of Scorsese's best efforts, but I say it takes his strengths and ropes them into a different kind of animal. And although I hate the overuse of this word, The Wolf of Wall Street is fu**ing epic. See it.

"The sides did cure cancer there, that’s the problem, that’s why they were so expensive there."