Bone Tomahawk

Bone Tomahawk ★★★★

Smart men don't get married.
-John Brooder

Holy hell what a surprise! Tombstone meets The Hills Have Eyes with the biggest coup being that Kurt Russell is in the Wyatt Earp-type role of the sheriff. There's even a Doc Holliday-type character, but thankfully Val Kilmer is not here attempting the role in his current condition. Surprisingly though, Matthew Fox of all people fills out the role nicely in a pinch.

What's even more surprising in this Western/Horror mash-up is that instead of going the obvious action heavy route, the film is actually a character driven, dialogue heavy film set to a slight slow burn. I have to say I enjoyed every moment from the opening with genre favorite Sid Haig and David Arquette right down to Kurt Russell's last line in the film.

Rounding off the already great cast here is Patrick Wilson, who seems to have reinvigorated his career with horror films and the almost unrecognizable Richard Jenkins who's playing a "Back Up Deputy" who is as old as dirt. The entire cast is great together, but it's Russell and Jenkins that I couldn't get enough of together.

This was just a great surprise all around. I usually have my little list of upcoming horror films that I look forward too and new westerns always catch my attention, but this one somehow flew completely below my radar. It's writer/director S. Craig Zahler's feature film debut behind the camera and it's a fantastic start for a promising career. I honestly don't know what I'd rather see him tackle next; a straight up western or a straight up horror film.

Mr. DuLac liked these reviews