Dirty Harry ★★★★½

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?"...
-Harry Callahan

I didn't quite know how badly I wanted to see Dirty Harry on the big screen until the opportunity presented itself and even at that I didn't know right away. When picking out the movies I wanted to see during this little GDFF2016, I had a few favorites and I'll admit right now that Dirty Harry was not top amongst them. The top honor went to The Thing and a few other movies after that...

Still though I love the Dirty Harry movies and thought if I'm lucky someone will come see it with me on Monday night when it's playing. A buddy said yes he was in and we were all set... then this idiotic snow storm rolled in on the East Coast and the weather wasn't looking good. Messaged my friend and said if you want to forget the movie because of the weather I'll be ok with that... and he replied back confirming that he was going to stay home... so that was that.

About an hour later is when it hit me just how much I wanted to see this movie in a theater. I just kept thinking it's Dirty Harry... on the big screen... I live 5 minutes from the multiplex.. who cares how bad the weather is! I let my friends know that I was going no matter what and if they wanted to join me I'd be there.

I don't know what it is about watching a film in the dark with a bunch of strangers, but I love it. It's that shared experience and even though I really enjoyed the other films I saw so far during this little "festival", Dirty Harry represented something really different to experience with other people. Most of the other films are genre favorites, mostly from the 80s, but here you have the beginning of gritty 70s cinema in an arguably mean spirited film that is not without it's humor. The thought of awkward laughter at some scenes intrigued me just as much as maybe hearing someone being offended by the same scene, or shocked at some of the brutality, ect, ect... I was going.

So last minute a friend did join me and surprisingly enough he had NEVER SEEN any of the Dirty Harry films! I talked up the movie so much that I almost regretted it just as it was about to start because I figured I had put his expectations too high but thankfully he loved it and said he was going to check out the sequels now. I explained that the first was the best, but the mentioning of Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey in minor parts in the last film intrigued him immensely, especially considering that it was one of the follow ups to a 1971 film he just watched. He did seem really puzzled when I said their parts had something to do with Guns N' Roses.

Mr. DuLac liked these reviews