Easy A ★★★★

Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life.
-Olive Penderghast

Will Gluck's sophomore outing is a fantastic tribute to 80s teen movies. The script is written by Bert V. Royal with the biggest influences obviously being the late great John Hughes and the film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off in particular getting the biggest homages in the film. I'm sorry Matthew Broderick, but Emma Stone has taken the Shower Mohawk away from you and made it her own.

Used mostly as a "star vehicle" for Stone, it works where similar attempts for other stars have failed because of what it's a tribute too. This generation of teen movies usually feature characters that are of fairly low intelligence which is usually where most of the comedy of the films come from. 80s teen movies on the other hand always feature a main protagonist that is wittier, smarter and more charming then any teenager can realistically be. A role tailor made for Stone.

She's joined by her equally unrealistically cool and understanding parents played by Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson who are perfectly cast. Such a character as Olive Penderghast would have to have been raised by parents like this. The rest of the characters would have also fit perfectly in a John Hughes film, they're not three dimensional but serve their comedic purposes to perfection.

Today's batch of teen comedies end up churning out unintelligent garbage like Project X, while this one comes off infinitely more intelligent by simply going back to what worked 30 years ago when the concern was more over being witty and funny, rather then cool and in. The film also did the impossible by making me like the song Pocket Full of Sushine so that has to count for something too.

Mr. DuLac liked these reviews