In the Mouth of Madness ★★★★

Do you read Sutter Cane?
-Axe Maniac

Michael De Luca comes back three years after writing Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare to prove that he isn't the worthless piece of shit everyone thought he was after it was unleashed on the movie going public.

His script for In the Mouth of Madness is an original story taking obvious inspirations from H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King. If the genius of blending classic and modern horror literature for a feature film wasn't enough, we also have one of the godfathers of modern horror behind the camera, John Carpenter.

The final film in Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy, preceded by The Thing and Prince of Darkness, it's also arguably the director's last gem. Some might like, or even love, some of his later films, but for my money this was his last true cult film deserving of such a title by the king of cult films.

At the center of it all you have Sam Neill as John Trent. He's unlike almost every other character from Carpenter films mainly due to the film dealing with insanity and it's direct toll on the Trent character. I gotta say I just love Neill in this film and it just might be my all time favorite performance from the actor.

Charlton Heston's small role was also a nice touch. A possible node to his earlier career in films like Soylent Green and The Omega Man?