Interstellar ★★★★

Do not go gentle into that good night; Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
-Dr. Brand

There seems to be a tendency to use "masterpiece" as the measuring stick when it comes to Christopher Nolan films. A lot of people almost constantly declare everything he does a masterpiece which might be why some people will say his films are disappointments because they don't measure up to being a masterpiece.

Not everyone is like that though, some like myself realize you can actually like some of Nolan's films without thinking their masterpieces, like Interstellar for example. I vaguely understand the comparisons to 2001: A Space Odyssey, but seriously those comparisons are just putting unrealistic expectations on people.

I do think this is an excellent sci-fi adventure with some great performances and a few good twists to keep things interesting. It even has a fantastic idea for a third act with it's ending, but there was too many moving parts in an imperfect machine.

The entire idea around that ending is sound, but it just needed some fine tuning in it's execution. It just felt to me that it took away from what should have been the film's greatest, most emotional and memorable moments, but in the end it's various earlier scenes in the film that check off all those marks for me. The spectacle and overall story still overcome any problems I have though.