Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★

Where is it? Where is the thump-thump?
-Jack Sparrow

I'm not sure what happened here. Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott return to write the script for the first sequel, while no one can blame them for being lazy, they go a little overboard. Maybe it's the fact that Disney was able to sign on practically the entire cast of the original for two sequels shot back to back and the writing duo wanted to make sure every character felt important to the story.

The basic plot is Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) has a very serious dept that is come due and he will do whatever it takes to get out of it, including screwing over enemies and friends alike. That doesn't sound so complicated, even if it would include all the twists and turns from the original film while Sparrow inches his way to his goal, but that would hardly make the other characters seem important to the overall plot.

This is solved by an incredible amount of intersecting sub-plots upon sub-plots that are all somehow connected directly or indirectly to Sparrow's goal. You can either try and keep up with everyone's motives or just sit back and enjoy the action sequences and special effects. Of course if you do the latter the movie will become dull and banal pretty damn quick. Honestly it's not that hard to keep everything straight, but I can't imagine a younger audience being able to keep up with what the hell is going on in this movie.

Other then the convoluted story though I see nothing wrong with this movie. The production design is second to none with various great locations highlighted by great cinematography. The special effects have held up great. The... umm... "sea people" still look damn amazing, but I still don't understand why Bootstrap Bill (Stellan Skarsgård) had only mostly practical make up effects while the rest of the crew were all enhanced by CGI. He stands out like a whore in church.

The returning cast does a good to great job. I think one of the biggest obstacles this movie had was getting a new character as the heavy that would replace Geoffrey Rush and they found him in none other then Bill Nighy as Davy Jones. I don't care if Nighy is mostly all CGI, he is still awesome. The biggest problem he has working against him is that cursed sea creature pirates aren't as exciting as cursed ghost/zombie pirates. Even though the plot is flawed as hell, I still enjoy this a great deal.

Last note... this one has a post-credit scene I had no idea about too, but this one is mostly just for comedy relief.