Possessor

Possessor ★★★★

Just think, one day your wife is cleaning the cat litter and she gets a worm in her, and that worm ends up in her brain. The next thing that happens is she gets an idea in there, too. And it's hard to say whether that idea is really hers or it's just the worm. And it makes her do certain things. Predator things. Eventually, you realize that she isn't the same person anymore. She's not the person that she used to be.
-Colin Tate

I don’t like using long quotes like that but I couldn’t help it in this case because I actually had a co-worker a few years ago tell me an incredibly similar story after he found out I had cats. Insisted that I will become mentally ill by cleaning cat litter via a worm in the brain. That I would eventually become a danger to my family. He was very serious. His departure from the company a little less than a year later wasn’t without incident.

If I was as cynical as I used to be, I’d claim that Brandon Cronenberg is just trying to emulate his dad and dismiss the film, but it’s just too good to do that. There’s an argument to be made that the easier route would be to make a film unlike anything his father would have made, but instead he’s made films that are guaranteed to be compared to them and still manages to impress.

---------------------------------------------------