Re-Animator ★★★★

Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow.
-Herbert West

I had no idea this film had such a grizzly sense of humor. I feel like I let myself down by not having seen this film at least once in the last 25 years. Stuart Gordon took a lesser known (to me anyways) H.P. Lovecraft story, Herbert West–Reanimator, and created some sort of modern day mad scientist masterpiece of gore.

The gore and makeup is so brilliantly done by John Naulin and Tony Doublin that the few scenes that didn't turn out so well are completely overshadowed or simply add to the humor of the film. While some of the scenes that have a headless corpse walking around holding it's head come off as less then seamless, it doesn't matter because the gag is so damn brilliant.

On paper it would look like Bruce Abbott is the hero and star of the film, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The true star here is Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West, the resident mad scientist. To be honest Abbott even takes a back seat to the films main villain in David Gale's Dr. Carl Hill. Abbott and his love interest, Barbara Crampton, are really just caught in the middle of the brilliant struggle that's happening between the far more interesting characters of West and Hill. It all comes together in a film that is pure gory brilliance.