The Hunt

The Hunt ★★★½

The last I heard, free speech still exists.
-Athena

A lot more fun than I had anticipated and not nearly as controversial as some tried to make everyone believe before ever even seeing the film. The movie is populated by cartoonish representations of each side, but honestly the extremists act cartoonish in real life so it doesn’t feel all that off brand.

The only thing remotely controversial is that it pokes fun at “liberal elites” which some might feel uncomfortable to laugh at because we now live in a world of “us or them”. If you laugh at something making fun of liberals, it means you’re a Trump supporter and if you laugh at something that makes fun of Republicans it means you’re pro-baby killing snowflake that is constantly in fear of offending people.

I say it’s about time someone took the piss out of the extreme left. Sure, it’s cartoonish caricatures, but if none of them reminds you of someone you’ve had the misfortune of dealing with, then you are one lucky son of a bitch. I mean it doesn’t seem fair because it’s way easier to make the far-right look insane, just let one go on about Trump long enough and they’ve done all the work for you.

The political aspects aside, the film doesn’t do anything extraordinary as an updated version of The Most Dangerous Game except for it’s ace in the hole; Betty Gilpin. I liked her well enough on GLOW and I’ve apparently seen films she’s been in before but don’t remember her from them. Here though she makes the entire film worth while. She plays the enigma that is Crystal and it’s entertaining from start too finish, from totally silent reaction shots, to her Southern twang and being the smartest badass in the room. By the end of it you know very little about her actual character (hints are given about her past) and the film makes that missing information actually PART of her character. Loved her.

---------------------------------------------------