The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man ★★★★½

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come, nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, and rape, and kill!
-The Invisible Man

When people think of the classic Universal Monsters they usually think of Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man. The Invisible Man might get mentioned after that if at all. Sadly the movie gets overlooked. On paper the character doesn't seem as exciting as the other classic monsters, but the film itself is quite amazing.

I loved these movies when I was a kid and had fond memories of The Invisible Man. I remembered while the movie was fun, it was a little disturbing. I accounted those memories with how the character looked in his bandages and dark glasses. After re-watching the film tonight I realize that might have had a little to do with it, but I remembered it being disturbing because it was just that.

Griffin's (The Invisible Man) decent into madness is actually quite well done. The movie fools you into having sympathy for him at times and also has an eccentric sense of humor in some scenes. Then it'll flip you're sympathies on it's head as Griffin turns more and more sinister with each deed as he passes the point of no return.

Claude Rains is fantastic as Griffin, playing a sophisticated and educated homicidal maniac. While the rest of the cast is quite good, Rains manages to outshine them without showing his face. Even after he's gone on his killing spree you almost feel sorry for him.

The special effects are actually quite amazing. They're not anything you'd imagine being completely impossible to do in the 30s, but might not imagine them being done so well. Even in this early film the special effects are used to serve the story or create a mood and not just to show off what they could do.

It's a must see film for anyone that can appreciate classic movies and love to see genre films in their infancy.

🦇 Dr. DuLacula 🧛 liked these reviews