Vertigo

Vertigo ★★★★★

One final thing I have to do... and then I'll be free of the past.
-Scottie

Today during my lunch break I was talking about the Oscars with a friend when I brought up Vertigo to illustrate a point I was trying to make and that resulted in me thinking about Vertigo for the rest of the day with only one logical thing to do about it after work.

See during the Academy Awards last night I witnessed a hell of a lot of people completely lose their shit over some of the winners and losers (how the hell did World of Tomorrow not win?!) while others made sure the world knew just how much they thought the entire ceremony was pointless.

Me, I enjoy the Oscars while as a movie lover believing that in the grand scheme of things they have little to no effect on what will go down in history as real classics or masterpieces. Now sometimes they do get it right, but the way the system is set up there's no way of guaranteeing the best of anything will win any particular category. While the nominations go by each branch nominating their own categories, when it comes to voting for the winners it's a free for all with all likelihood votes cast for films that haven't even been watched. Also since it's just a bunch of members voting, strong contenders can also potentially cancel each other out letting a dark horse take home the gold statue.

The nominations aren't even a good barometer on what the best films are sometimes and never have been. That's why I had Vertigo on the mind today. One of the greatest films ever made and it was nominated for a grand total of ZERO Academy Awards. Alfred Hitchcock, one of the greatest directors to ever live, wasn't nominated for this film obviously, but also NEVER WON an Oscar for directing (he was eventually given the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award). Does not having "Oscar Winner" tarnish Vertigo or Hitchcock in the minds of anyone? Of course not.

I just think that people have either forgotten, or just never realized, that for the "best film" to win anything at the Oscars it's almost a crap shoot.

So if your favorite film of the year didn't win Best Picture, don't worry, if it's as good as you believe it is, it's not going to matter one bit. No one is going to forget Mad Max: Fury Road, even the people who hated it (Yes that was the best film of the year damn it!)

Block or Report