Avengers: Endgame

Budget: $356,000,000
Worldwide Gross: $2,797,800,564
OSCAR Nominations: 1
Filming Locations: Atlanta, Georgia

Steve Rogers: "Five years ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs. Most of us are going somewhere we know, that doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're going to win. Whatever it takes. Good luck."

SYNOPSIS: After the devastating events of Avengers: Infinity War (2018), the universe is in ruins. With the help of remaining allies, the Avengers assemble once more in order to reverse Thanos' actions and restore balance to the universe.

Marvel's culmination of 22 films over the last 11 years resulted in one of the most star-studded spectacles to ever grace the screen.

It's tough to comprehend just how good this film is. On one hand, I do have some minor issues with the middle act along with questions associated with the time travel aspect and its lack of subsequent ramifications. However, on the other hand, (and I hate making this as an excuse), but it is a superhero movie after all. How much do you forgive a plot hole here or there? The answer lies with how well you like the 3rd act because I believe the last 45 minutes may be the best action sequence ever filmed when you combine all the elements such as the drama, score, the number of actors present, meaning, intensity, etc. The amount of pay-off and satisfaction you get as the culmination of 22 films comes together is something I will never forget. I've seen the film five times, and I nearly teared up merely seeing the portals open, among many other pivotal sequences.

TRIVIA: When Avengers: Endgame (2019) passed Titanic (1997)'s box office total, James Cameron sent a congratulatory message to Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios on dethroning his film - with a photo of the Avengers 'A' being the iceberg that sinks the Titanic.

It's also worth noting that it's over three hours long and, for all its fan service, it does tend to drag in one or two areas. Plus it's quite 'exposition-heavy' meaning characters have to explain the 'science' of various fantastical events for us - the audience - to properly understand the ways they're going to dig themselves out of such a predicament when it comes to restoring order to the universe.

TRIVIA: Robert Downey Jr. officially surpassed Hugh Jackman's record for most appearances in film as the same superhero, with ten. He set this record in only 11 years, whereas Jackman did it in 17.

TRIVIA: Robert Downey Jr. hid his own personal snacks all over set. The scenes where he's eating snacks and offers them to his costars were all improvised.

Of course, the MCU will go on and make billions more as the universe continues to expand, but it won't be the same. We'll never get another core Avengers movie with this cast, and no matter how much or little you are invested in the MCU, that has to mean something to you. It made the middle act worth it when the heroes go back and have to relive certain events that we've seen play out in other MCU films. But naturally, that act of the film does play out slower and more plotting than anything else. You certainly feel the lack of Thanos during most of those sequences. That being said, and it may be my biggest overall gripe, the lack of Thanos's presence is an indicator that one never feels the true danger that the Avengers may encounter when going back in time to recover the stones to help reset the course of humanity. However, the Russo's covered up this glaring personal issue by injecting many of the sequences with plenty of humor that more than kept me occupied and satisfied.

TRIVIA: Even though Captain Marvel (2019) was released one month before this film, Brie Larson shot her scenes for this movie first. The scene at Avenger's Headquarters was Brie Larson's first day on set as Carol Danvers. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, the co-directors of Captain Marvel, were present on-set during the filming of her scenes to ensure consistency of portrayal. In an interview with CinemaBlend, they talked about the experience. "Just to clarify, we were actually shooting simultaneously," Fleck revealed. "[The Russos] shared the script with us, we shared ours with them, and we each gave each other feedback on them, so it was a very fluid approach to the character." Boden added "They did shoot with her before and after she shot with us. But, you know, it was a really nice introduction into that world because the Russo brothers have been working with Marvel for so many years, and had already made a couple of our favorite Marvel films at that point."

With that said, I think the original crew truly gives us their best performances yet, and that starts with Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr., the heart and soul of this series. I'll admit I did not expect them to kill off only Tony and keep Steve alive, but their arcs are almost perfectly capped off here. Pepper says it perfectly to Tony "We're going to be alright, you can rest now".

Red Skull: "For one of you. For the other, in order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul for a soul."

Another aspect I loved about this movie and the saga as a whole was how good they were at developing the actual characters and their relationships. There are some similarities, but nobody is the same and most of the arcs are believable.

TRIVIA: This is the first (and, given his announced "semi-retirement", presumably the only) film where Robert Redford has returned to play a role for a second time. In his 59-year career, Redford has otherwise never played the same role twice in a franchise.

Thank you to Kevin Feige, the Russo Bros, and everyone involved in making this and the other MCU films. It's been one of the greatest pleasures of my life seeing this universe unfold the way it has and it's hard to imagine not having the next phase of films already in the pipeline but Endgame puts a stamp on the end of this series like no other. This was something special, and I don't think we'll ever see anything like it for several years.

How do you think this film concluded the Avengers saga?

Who was your favorite character?

What could have been done to make it better in your eyes? What was your favorite / least favorite aspect?

Which Marvel film are you most looking forward to next?

Fact-Checking / TRIVIA Source: IMDb