Dear Brigitte ★★½

Jimmy Stewart is the most luddite poetry professor I've ever seen, who rants and raves about every minor thing because him being befuddled is what the comedy is supposed to be, I guess. Billy Mumy is his math whiz kid, which infuriates him because THE ARTS. Mumy is writing love letters to Brigitte Bardot which eventually elicit a response because the movie has to be going somewhere.

Brigitte Bardot does make a cameo, making this the least likely Golden Age/Silver Age of Hollywood team-up outside of Cary Grant/Sophia Loren in HOUSEBOAT. Bardot is so sanitized/cutesy here, she may as well be a Disney princess sitting atop a parade float.

To compensate, the movie does try to inject some sex appeal, becoming about as cheeky as a family comedy could be in 65. The most cringeworthy example is how Stewart's waterfront neighbor is always casually painting a nude model on the top of his boat-- but don't worry! She's his wife!

I'm not sure what the point of the movie is. Math is good, but being horny for Bardot is better?

Danny liked this review