Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Pain burrowed so deeply into sun-catching blonde hair, into those perfect blue eyes and reluctantly heavy smile, that every life infrastructure seems infested with eternally corrupting evil. The surrealist charms of steamy black coffee and crumbly cherry pie fully decayed by the barely hidden cracks in the light.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a film so immediately painful and yet so cathartically sure that that pain does eventually end. That love can connect us cosmically, across barriers of time or reality. But even in that reassurance, horror permanently hangs, ripping apart lives across generations, always repeating itself.

I'm grateful Lynch gave us the opportunity to see Laura alive, even if bits of her heart were already killed long ago. I think perhaps the key is in Laura saving Donna from her mistakes; life can rot you away, but you can still leave behind something good to echo long after you've fallen too deeply.

Overwhelmingly disturbing, complicating the swellness of Twin Peaks' first two seasons into something opaqued by vomity cream corn. But still tremendously empathetic and desperate for things to be better.

I can no longer imagine a "greatest of all time" conversation without this.

Austin liked these reviews