Get Out ★★★★½

A comedian like Jordan Peele making his feature film debut with a horror film might seem unusual, but Peele understands what a lot of filmmakers seem to have forgotten -- or, influenced by the general disdain held by "serious" filmmakers for horror, never realized in the first place -- that horror (all respect to comedy) is absolutely the best genre for biting social commentary and satire. You can go big and go deep in horror with outlandish metaphors you can't get away with in any other genre, and you can thus make your point far more effectively than you can with those other genres as well. And if, like Jordan Peele, you're a talented son of a bitch, you can make a damn compelling, funny, and terrifying cinematic experience while you're at it.

I used the word outlandish to describe the film's metaphor for what it's like being black in a white supremacist society, but I meant that solely in terms of the plot mechanics. In terms of the anxiety and terror this film engenders in its viewer, I have no doubt it's an accurate portrayal. The incredible cast helps; we immediately like Chris and Rose, thanks to the charming and understated performances from Daniel Kaluuya and Allison Williams. Likewise, the outsized performances from the perfectly cast Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener, as Rose's parents, fit the bill to a T. The rest of the cast is equally spot-on.

As for quibbles, the major reveal at the end of the film doesn't make a ton of sense, given what's come prior, but it's possible I missed a line somewhere that explains it. And while Peele is a brilliant writer and a competent director, he lacks the style of an Argento or the brashness of a Carpenter. Given that this is his first feature, however, I'm willing to cut him some slack.

I do hope Peele makes more horror films; he has an incredibly good grasp of the genre, and as amazing and powerful as Get Out is, I'm confident he can rise to even higher heights.