Princess Mononoke ★★★★★

HOLY SHIT, GANG. THIS MOVIE.

I mean, I KNEW. I'd seen it before, but that was ages ago, and on DVD. This was now, and on the big screen, and ...

HOLY SHIT, GANG. THIS MOVIE.

Watched not as part of my Miyazaki/Ghibli project (though I will watch it again later this year for that) but as part of my Holy Shit Princess Mononoke Is On The Big Screen Tonight I Should Really Go project. And I'm so glad I did. Even though it was the dub, this was not an experience to be missed. The dub is actually quite good; Minnie Driver in particular is perfection as Lady Eboshi, and Billy Crudup and Claire Danes are quite serviceable as Ashitaka and San, respectively. The only one who felt out of place was Billy Bob Thornton as Jiko-bō, and even he wasn't as bad as, say, Christian Bale or Billy Crystal in Howl's Moving Castle.

What a breathtaking film, and writ large on the big screen it is even more magnificent. I just realized that this was the first movie I saw on the big screen in 2017. It wasn't planned; I'd meant to see Hidden Figures this weekend, and I didn't even know I was seeing this until today. But what an auspicious start to my theatre-going experience of this year.

And, spoilers, but only Hayao Miyazaki could end a film with both an apocalypse and a rebirth, and yet still make it feel earned.