Parasite ★★★★★

It turns out that deciding to transition from US release dates to UK release dates for a new decade may have been a bad idea. Because Parasite straddles that line, it might just be at the top of my end of decade lists for two decades in a row.

A key theme of Parasite is that nothing successful can be planned; not by the lower classes anyway. While the upper class can make lemons out of lemonade, for anyone else, planning leads to failure. If you don’t have a plan, it simply can’t go wrong. This clearly isn’t the case for Bong Joon-Ho, whose meticulous decision-making comes to the fore in what is surely his masterpiece, where nothing is out of place, and everything matters.

A socio-economic thriller would likely be the neatest way to pigeon-hole this in to a predetermined genre. Of course, as others have said, it’s not exactly that simple. For a film that does and says so much, and does everything so incredibly well, it fits in to all genres just as much as it doesn’t fit in to any of them. Knowing the basic plot is as much as knowing nothing as you watch this for the first time, it’s likely that this will exist as one of the most thrilling films ever made.

Though this seems disingenuous to the moral of this fucked up tale, I really do hope that this continues to take in the money. It’s success across the pond and its awards recognition (despite snubbing some of the year’s best performances) mean that once this is fully released in the UK, hopefully it makes some coin. I saw this at an early screening tonight that I’m glad to say was fairly full, and the reaction to it suggests that it was very much appreciated.

Michael liked these reviews