Candyman

Candyman ★★★½

There were three people responsible for the script of this movie and it shows. While watching this movie, I was struck by three interesting ideas trying to meld into one, but in the end, they all fit together as people at the back of a crowded public taxi here in the Dominican Republic. Meaning they are capable of adjust themselves, but everything ultimately feels forced.

Now, don't get me wrong. This film has fantastic direction and cinematography, with each death scene being incredibly well staged. DaCosta makes the most of this slasher's restrained killing method. There is a scene where this next victim walks around confused in an apartment and all seems fine, but all of a sudden, this victim is smashed against the mirror in the living room as it is painted in blood, while the camera slowly pulls back out of the apartment to reveal that all of this occurred while everyone on the other floors went about their daily lives. Also, the bathroom scene shown in the trailer is greatly executed. As the initial credits are introduced in an upside down shot with fog, it sets the mood beautifully for this ghostly tale while looking cool at the same time.

For the most part, performances are also very good. Yahya is on his way to becoming one of the greatest actors, and I wouldn't be surprised if, in a very short time, he will be on the same level as Denzel Washington. I felt that Parris's abilities were relatively limited, although her physical performance and reactions were all excellent. Unfortunately, you had some really bad supporting roles, such as the school girl and the art gallery owner.

All in all, this film serves as a great introduction for DaCosta to new audiences and has me excited about her work for Marvel. It also has good ideas and performances to keep you interested and entertained all the way through. Unfortunately I feel in the end the core message of the film was poorly written and the ending has a comical feel that marred the seriousness of the story, though it was damn cool.

TODAY SCHEDULE