Scream

Scream ★★★★

I must say that I didn't expect a film like SCREAM to have anything like layers, but here they are at. Also, I wasn't expecting a Tarantino reference, which I got a kick out of it.

As for the film itself, this was a tight race for the second spot in my ranking and by the end succeeded by a narrow margin. I think a lot of it had to do with the story and how it calls back to the original in ways that I would describe as "cleverly obvious", and others that surprised me, especially this particular death. The new cast does a good job, but I think that out of all the films, I don't think that any of them will end up standing out and if it wasn't for a revelation that I'm still trying to understand how all of it happened, that's the only reason why I would remember at least one. But yes, even in the third one you have more memorable characters. Oh, and I really enjoyed Roger's performance as the voice of Ghostface and how much he was allowed to do and play around.

Although the soundtrack isn't much of a banger (that spot is still held by the fourth installment), I liked the score by Brian Tyler and the return of that Nick Cave song. Also, the deaths are more violent, but I mostly enjoyed the setups and how many of them built up. I also think the new mask is scarier and they make great use of this.

All in all, another great installment in a franchise that shows no signs of slowing down.

TODAY REVIEW