The Empire Strikes Back

The Empire Strikes Back ★★★★½

*Star Wars logo shows as the film iconic fanfare plays*

*Scrolling text*By this point its kind of clear that the day I watched all the original Star Wars films on TNT, my mind was somewhere else, cause I literally don't remember much of these movies.

But then again, I might on an early stage of Alzheimer...*Scrolling text*

I would say it now: the most underrated running gag on Star Wars (and sci-fi film) history as a whole is R2D2's Wilhelm Scream.

But in all seriousness, this is the very own definition of a sequel to a mega blockbuster: its bigger, its most ambition and, on the case of Strikes Back, its almost better than the original.

Many of the tropes and characters's distinctive personalities come into fruition on this sequel. The stakes are even higher, the humor is much better and the script is filled with so many iconic moments and lines... the production design is also nicreadible. From all the 5 movies so far, this one features the best light saber fight of all between Luke and Vader... you may call this in some way the quintessential Star Wars movie.

Again, the film drags in a few places and thanks to the prequels, there are a few inconsistency (really, none of the OG characters recognizing at least R2D2 is getting a bit tiresome). Also the CGI here hasn't aged that well either, especially on the bigger and much spectacular effects...

All in all, there's an argument to be made that this could be among the greatest sequels in cinema history... dare I say, the sci-fi genre as a whole.

Rafael liked these reviews