The New Mutants

The New Mutants ★★

Ok, so for everyone who already seen this movie months prior when it came to theaters - are you any surprise the rest of us who've seen this in our homes are tearing this movie apart? Like I remember everyone giving it two or even 3 and the past week has been a 1 fest.

Though I can't really complain and I can very well see why. This movie has many great ingredients, but it doesn't know how to cook them. There are great elements of horror, like you can see yourself being scared, but for some reason it all feels like cheap thrills. It has a great premise with this anti-X men, almost like a what if...? storyline of what would happen if the mutants weren't under the wings of Xavier or even Magneto for that matter, but something much sinister. What if Glass but with Mutants? Also as someone who literally stopped Buffy: The Vampire Slayer to write this review, the little throwback to Willow and Tara's relationship and the way how this movie hints at that series and how it kinda connects with the season 6, I thought that was kinda cool.

The cinematography was alright, but I simply couldn't stop thinking how much everything looked like a 2008 or 2010s horror movie like My Soul To Take or something down that line. Also I heard the CGI was atrocious, especially on the third act, but I liked it OK and the whole final boss in the end and stuff was kinda sweet.

All in all, I can't sit here and say I loathe this movie but I didn't love it either. Again, under some better hands or maybe with some of those reshoots, this could've been a lowkey good teen horror flick; unfortunately for whatever reason, the final product feels very fragmented.

TODAY SCHEDULE