Parasite ★★★★★

Directed by Bong Joon-Ho (Memories of Murder, Mother, Snowpiercer, Okja). A lower-class unemployed young man, takes up a job within a rich family, and finds potential personal inclusion among his situation. Until something truly unexpected twists up his plan.

I am not going to delve to much into the story and plot, as I feel this film is best experienced knowing as little as possible about the film prior to watching but I will be discussing the film's thematics. So I recommend that you stop reading and go experience what is without a doubt one of the best films ever made.

Every shot, edit, sound/score cue, and emotional beats not only in performance but in pacing is absolute perfection. Bong Joon-Ho is at the top of his game here. Not since his film Memories of Murder has he executed such a grand vision of autuerism. His balance of comedy, tragedy, and drama (or in Bong's description, a "family tragicomedy"), is awe-inspiring. At a moments notice, the film can go from being outright hilarious to dead serious and tense, and feel completely genuine.

Without giving anything away, I will say that the films exploration and dissection of lower class struggles amongst the rich upper class's unworriedness is very well developed. It's clear not only in physical space of places but also in it's thematics of societal norms, that it's a film that will connect and resonate with many, and will go down as one of the most important films for the world's current state right now.

Parasite is the best film experience I've had in a long time. Its hilarious yet tragic. Powerful in its visual/narrative storytelling on a large scale, and deeply soul-touching on a small scale. It's the kind of film that releases every now and then, that will be a mile stone for many until the next film like it. A film that stays within your conscious, burrowing into your mind with its significance. If there is one film that you could experience for the rest of this year, let it be Parasite.

Tom liked these reviews