Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★★

“You all keep talking about the city like it’s their prison. It’s not. It’s their kingdom.”

Director Zack Snyder has been known to swing for the fences whenever he can, for the better and worse. In Batman v Superman, it comes out mostly as a wash yet ultimately admirable on its own because it quite simply wasn’t what MCU was trying to do. You also have the Snyder Cut which surprisingly was a welcome return to the familiar yet Snyder devoted so much heart to the core characters that gave Justice League much-needed life that was lacking in the theatrical cut. Basically, Snyder does whatever he can, and he’s always testing his waters for the better and worse. There’s even an owl movie he did that I barely recall, and you can’t say he’s never not interesting.

In this second try at a zombie movie, Snyder seeks to build a world that despite the chaos and zombies, aren’t so different than our own right now. The heart of the film is undoubtedly found between Dave Bautista and Ella Purnell who turn in excellent performances and believable chemistry that makes the whole picture sing. Additionally, Snyder made some very interesting choices as a DP, giving it a oddly dreamy look for a zombie movie, and though I can’t say I was all in, but I was eventually sold since his action scenes are well shot but he wanted it give it a tactile yet ethereal feel which I felt really worked in his favor. I’ll be watching this again. A really fun time that does indeed have a bit going on underneath as well. Give this a go, maybe it’s not what you’re expecting but I really appreciate Snyder’s efforts here.

Caleb liked these reviews