Gladiator ★★★★★

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

Another film I hadn't seen for ages, and I'm happy to report this still holds up. Ridley Scott is confident in just about every angle here, from the top tier production design to the engaging battle sequences that always has you on the edge of your seat, Gladiator is still such a treat to this day. All the while it feels like a throwback to the old school epics, yet Scott packs this with layered characters with a great cast to boot, and a fully realized Rome. Gladiator is one of the better Best Picture winners in the last few decades, and also one of Scott's best.

Russell Crowe certainly nails the part, but the real glue that holds it all together are the supporting cast that really helps the whole thing to come together. Oliver Reed, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen (maybe the MVP in the whole thing), and the great Richard Harris that helps to set it all up. Real solid cast from top to bottom, if you ask me.

Caleb liked this review